PS 5 at 30th Avenue and 30th Street
Map of Long Island City and Steinway property (1896)
Madison Square Garden Bowl (1932) at Northern Boulevard and 48th Street. Location of championship boxing matches later immortalized in the film 'Cinderella Man.'
The Astoria "Flatiron" building, on Astoria Boulevard just west of 21st Street Astoria Boulevard.
Famous 1,000-window bakery of the Loose-Wiles Sunshine Biscuit Company at Degnon Terminal c. 1914. This firm (the largest in Long Island City at the time) employed as many 2,500 people.
Steinway Street and 31st Avenue looking north.
The Barclay Mansion, on Shore Road in Astoria Park removed for the Hell Gate Bridge.
Queens (or Bridge) Plaza, which contemporary papers referred to as "a thing of beauty" and "equal to the entrance to any park". This tranquil scene was to change forever with the coming of the elevated subway station at Queensboro Plaza in 1915. (Note the flagpole from perennial America Cup competitor Sir Thomas Lipton's yacht at the center of the photo; it was there only from 1912 to 1914.)
The Terra Cotta Company located on a three-acre site which opened in 1886
Queensboro Bridge from the North looking south/west.
Dr. Thomas C. Rainey: "The father of the [Queensboro] Bridge."
LaGuardia Airport in 1950
Astoria Movie Studio on Steinway Street and 30th Avenue.
St. Rita's Roman Catholic Church on 12th Street in Ravenswood.
Steinway Street and Broadway looking west.
The Hell Gate Bridge in Astoria Park with kids wading near an old stone pier.
This map of Long Island City (highlighting the Steinway Property) shows the community comprised of Astoria, Ravenswood and Blissville (an early name of Sunnyside)
One of the earliest pictures of Shore Road in Astoria Park. A series of mansions lined the hill to the right.
Steinway Street looking north toward 31st Avenue, c. 1975
Long Island City coat of arms; image of Neptune (left) and Minerva (right)
Late 1940s view of the Governor Alfred E. Smith Houses under construction
Depiction of 1642 treaty between Jonas Bronck (namesake of the Bronx) and the Weckquaesgeek Indians, which would eventually extinguish native claims to lands on the river
Diner at 46th Street and Broadway.
PS 122 is on Ditmars between 21st (formerly Hobart) and 23rd Avenues (formerly Potter).
PS 83 was in Ravenswood on Vernon Boulevad between 34th (formerly Frankin Avenue) and 35th Avenues (formerly Pierce Avenue)
PS 6 was on Steinway Street between Broadway and 31st Avenue.
Police officers lined up before teh 75th Precinct in Long Island City sporting the spring and fall uniforms of 1908. Note the Pot helments worn by some; these were necessary as hoodlums would throw bricks off roofs during riots.
The Adams Chewing Gum factory, home of brand names Chiclets and Dentyn. This was part of Degnon Terminal,
Door of the Jacob Blackwell house, c. before 1700 Was at foot of 37th Avenue, Ravenswood. Note the arrow hacked by Redcoats with saber in 1776. (The door is on permanent display at the Greater Astoria Historical Society.)